Dark clouds may hang on me sometimes

Dark clouds may hang on me sometimes, but I'll work it out...

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Eighty.

Dreams...

Sure, I've got dreams. They're not, nor have they ever been 'normal' or like other kids' dreams, but I've got dreams.

When I was a little kid I never wanted to be a doctor, a firefighter, a princess, or a ballerina. I wanted to be an architect. I played with Lincoln Logs and K*nex more than I played with dolls. I was never really into the whole hair and makeup thing, and I'm still not. That's just not who I am.

Of course, all adolescent dreams fade away and the reality that you won't magically become royalty (
or a crime fighting superhero ninja) sets in.

But you still have dreams. That's the good thing about dreams. They are forever changing to fit your needs, and they're free. You can have as many as you want without being greedy.

When I was a teenager I was set on opening my own restaurant. I still would like to at some point in my life, but it's not on the top of my list anymore.

When I went to college, I went for business. Looking back on that now, I could have picked a better major. But, at 18, how many people really know what they want to be when they '
grow up'?

Now, I'm 23, and I'm starting over. Everything is new. New goals, new life, new adventures, new me, new dreams. I've finally realized that it's really not how long it takes you to get somewhere that matters. It's getting back in the car after it's broken down more times than you can count, and changing that same flat tire for the fifth time, and doing whatever it takes to get to your destination that counts.

You have your whole life to make mistakes and your whole life to be successful. It's healthy to have a mix of both. It'll keep you humble and give you wisdom that you can't learn in the two, four, six, or eight years that you spend working toward whichever dream you're after.

For right now, my only dream is to live. Wherever life takes me, I'm okay with it. It's much harder to fight against things you have absolutely no control over than it is to make the best of what you've got.

You're either busy living, or you're busy dying.

Get busy living. ;)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment