Dark clouds may hang on me sometimes

Dark clouds may hang on me sometimes, but I'll work it out...

Sunday, January 31, 2010

FortyFive.

Bleeding Heart.

Could you imagine me having one?

Me neither.

However, much to my surprise and I'm sure to yours as well, I've got one.

I never really thought about that, or even used the words in a sentence before. I mean, I've heard the saying, I just never made the connection or thought that it applied to me. Last night though, at dinner, an old man came in to the restaurant and was sat in a booth right next to us... and he was alone. I looked at my mom and she just sighed and asked "Do you want to go and sit with him?" I almost did. My cousin was surprised that I cared, and that's how the whole conversation of 'bleeding hearts' came about.

Ever since I was a little kid I've felt bad for homeless people, people with disabilities, and the majority of old people I see alone.

(All I have to do is look at my mom and she knows exactly what's about to happen. For some reason I just get really upset. And if she sees them before I do, she either tells me not to look, or distracts me.)

Why?

I have no idea. Whenever I see homeless people I feel compelled to feed them. I've stopped in the middle of traffic on a busy highway to give a homeless man McDonalds before. I even made my friend give a homeless man five dollars in the bronx a month ago because I didn't have my wallet on me. When I was younger I joined the YMCA and helped out with the Special Olympics-and when I have time now, I still volunteer. I know these things aren't my problem, but I feel like I have to help them because if I don't, who will?

Clearly, I'm in the wrong profession. I should be doing social work, or running a homeless shelter or something. But where do I start?

I'm not sure just yet, but watch out world.

"There is a kind of elevation which does not depend on fortune; it is a certain air which distinguishes us, and seems to destine us for great things; it is a price which we imperceptibly set upon ourselves." - Francois De La Rochefoucauld

No comments:

Post a Comment